What Components Should an Alternative Certification Program Include?
- Preparing teacher candidates to successfully pass the TExES exams. TEACH TExES prep includes 20 hours of test-taking strategy courses, 60 hours of onsite/phone tutoring, & over 25 TExES practice exams.
- Ongoing supervisor support which includes a supervisor who observes teacher at least 3 times per semester.
- Retired Principal Facilitators who connect with the teacher’s principal during the teacher’s teaching experience.
- Ongoing pedagogical, including methodology courses.
- Training throughout teaching experience including courses &/or workshops.
- Selecting process which identifies quality teachers for the Texas classroom.
TEACH Delivers All Six Components Plus Four Additional Components!
- Teaching tools necessary to produce high-performing students. Students who perform on or above average on the district/state assessment tools.
- Teaching tools which support high-level thinking in Texas Classrooms.
- Supporting courses which enrich teacher’s pedagogical and methodological knowledge & skills.
- Testing pedagogical and methodological skills through a laboratory setting–a virtual classroom.
- 12 Professors, Online Course of Study including pedagogy and methodology courses.
- 100+ courses including but not limited to Core Courses, Brain-based Research courses, study guide courses; language courses, Middle & HS focused courses; special needs focused courses; Technology focused courses; uGuide Resources courses focused on all content areas and grade levels
- 20 Educational Videos in zeToolbox
- 10 Weebly, Online Workshops
- 2 Textbooks: Wong & Wong, The Brain Train &/or a Discipline Specific Text/video
- 2 Software Demos: Inspiration, Portfolio Builder
- 25 TExES Prep Handouts
- 12/7 support via Internet, Telephone
- 3 or More Sessions, One-On-One TExES Prep Tutoring
- 2 or More Sessions, Résumé Review & Interview Coaching
- 25 TExES Practice Exams Available through the Testing Site
- 5 Supervisor Visits: 3 visits Fall Semester and 2 visits during the Spring Semester
- 2 Retired Principal Facilitators connect via email and phone (visit if requested by teacher’s principal) to teacher’s principal throughout teaching experience.
- 2 Clinical Supervisors: If More Classroom Visits Required by Principal/Director/Supervisor, a Clinical Supervisors Enter Teacher’s Classroom Twice a Week.
- 1 Mentor, Campus: Paid Stipend, Observes at Least 3 Times
- 1 Retired Teacher Mentor, Average, 3:1
- 3-year Program Support (2 years beyond Internship Year)
- Access to tqportal for the life of the program after exit from program
- Robust training leading to school employment. However, school employment is framed by budgets and school population. And, as such, may lead to limited employment offerings in certain Texas areas.
Code of Ethics